What services will a gardener offer?
A gardener can usually help with all aspects of regular garden and grounds maintenance and soft landscaping such as those listed below.
A gardener who gives advice on the work you have asked them to do is an
adviser and that advice is covered by the Public Liability Insurance as a
the normal activity of a contractor.
However, if you ask a gardener to give you advice and do not give them any work (for example to identify a plant but not maintain it) then they are acting as a consultant and would ideally have separate Professional Indemnity insurance. Our members are aware of the difference and should charge for their time as a consultant where no work is forthcoming.
Individual members may also have the necessary skills, qualifications, insurance and equipment for consultancy, hard landscaping, tree surgery or design - although membership with The Gardeners Guild is primarily concerned with regular garden maintenance and services such as:
- Hedge trimming,
- Applying feeds and pesticides,
- Applying preservatives to wooden structures,
- Laying ornamental gravel paths and decorative bark on borders,
- Waste removal,
- General garden tidy-ups and complete garden renovation and clearance,
- Garden consulting, advice and coaching,
- Shed and fencing repairs,
- Soft landscaping,
- Vegetable tending,
- Sourcing and supplying.